2.16.2009

Love Day



I may be in the minority when it comes to Valentine's Day: I love it. I always have, even when I was a single girl living alone I'd bake a bunch of cupcakes, pass them around and run a super-fancy rose petal bath for myself. I'd listen to Sarah McLachlan by candlelight while dreaming of the man I'd someday marry. I've always loved love and all things romantic. My husband is a violinist and that's really all I needed to know. Well, that and his first emailed words to me which were, "You make me want to sing," based only on my profile picture and a little blurb about how incredibly electronically challenged I was. I love that man.


This Valentine's Day was beautiful. First, being the mom that I am, I searched for a themed t-shirt for my little son to wear. I finally found one on Etsy (all handmade items, like a creative version of eBay) that fit his style but happened to have a massive red heart on the front with a MOM banner across it. I won't be able to dress him in shirts that proclaim his love for me for very long, so you better believe I'm taking advantage of it while I can. I also bought an outfit that has a "Mommy" heart tattoo patch sewn onto the shoulder. What can I say, he's a hard-core fan of mine.

Rhys and I went on a real Valentine date and had dinner at Sushi Roku in Pasadena while my mom watched Jude. I'm aware that I look about 5 months preggo in the picture she took of us before we left but I assure you I am not. It's just the weird way my top bunched across Rhys' blazer. (Or it could be the chocolate kahlua cake habit I've formed, but let's just blame it on the blouse.) He brought me a gorgeous burgundy orchid plant that I'm going to do my best to keep alive. And I bought myself a little something random: a cherry blossom Moses basket from Babystyle. What? They're going out of business! I had to get it. I will have a baby girl...I will have a baby girl...


`
`

4 comments:

Jen said...

i love valentines day now, too. bryan always makes it special, even if it's in a small way (but really, i like all those little small things so much more than the big things). which seller did you get that mommy tattoo shirt from? i have to get one for ollie!

Laura said...

I am with you in the loving love department! Unlike you though, I don't think I enjoyed it when I was single. Remember that V-Day we spent with the Sam Goody gang and I bought that puppy on Main Street? That was 10 years ago! Billy has been with us for 10 years! Anywho, I love the shirts! And you WILL have a girl! And I WILL get pregnant!

Lisa said...

josh bought me an orchid plant too...its a soft violet color :)

mineral forest said...

this might just have been my last Valentine's being single, and I LOVED every minute of it. It was the perfect girl's night out which I am sure you would have loved being a part of. I took my friend Zaya (also single and looking, of course) out to dinner for her birthday, we had pinkberry and then saw "He's Just Not That Into You". It could not have been more perfectly orchestrated. lots of love xoxoxo